Irving v. Lipstadt
Hitler's Role in the Persuection of the Jews by the Nazi Regime: Electronic Version, by Heinz Peter LongerichTable of Contents
|Hitler`s Role in the Pers... >||List of abbreviations >>|
A CURRICULUM VITAE
(i)For the last twenty years my academic work has been concentrated on the Nazi Dicatorship, its structure, its origins and ist legacy. My work in this field which consists in particular of a dozen monographs and editions is highly regarded both in Germany and internationally.
(ii)I can declare my self an expert in working with archival documents, mostly unpublished, from this period. During the last twenty years I have workd in about 40 archives in Germany, Britian, Israel, Lithuania, the Soviet Union and the United States.
(iii)From the very beginning of my academic research I have been particularly interested in the structure of the Nazi system and the decision making-process. This interest developed when I wrote my dissertation, a study about bureaucratic infighting and decision-making in the Nazi Propaganda machinery. After completion of my dissertation I worked for several years at the Institut für Zeitgeschichte in Munich. During a period of more than five years at the Institute I edited the Second Part of the Project Akten der Partei-Kanzlei, an attempt to reconstruct the lost original files from the Nazi Party Chancellery, the central office of the Nazi party which coordinated the organisation of the Party and controlled the state bureacracy. This work which envolved the reading and summing up of about 80.000 pages of documents from the Nazi period gave me a unique insight into the day to day history of the Nazi system and a subtle understanding for the bureaucratic language and the behaviour of officials in this system. During my stay at the Institute I wrote two other books, a history of the Nazi Stormtroopers and a organisation history of the Party chancellery.
(iv)Since the end of the eighties my interest concentrated more and more on what I see today as the central chapter of the Nazi period: The persecution and murder of European Jews. I started this work by editing a collection of documents about the Holocaust in 1989. When I edited the book I war particularly concerned with the authenticity of the material and therefore consulted the great majority of the dorcuments as originals in archives.
(v)The publication of the German version of the Encyclopedia of the Holocaust (together with Eberhard Jäcke and Julius H. Schoeps) a work which included an updating of many of the articles, provided me with an excellent overview about research in this field
(vi)An invitiation to spent ten month at the International Center for Holocaust Research at Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, gave me the opportunity to lay the cornerstone for a major monograph of the Holocaust, a book which was issued in 1998 (in German) under the title policy of annihilation and containes a comprehensive history of the persecution of the Jews in the period between 1933 and 1945. The manuscript of this book was accepted as Habilitationsschrift by the University of the Armed Forces in Munich in early 1999. (The Habilitation is the highest qualification at a German University and the basic condition for the award of a professorship). During the last two years I had the opportunity to give papers about the main results of this research at numerous Universities, Research Centres and Museums in Germany, Britain, the United States and Israel.
(vii)I have never stopped to attemped to look at the Holocaust and the Nazi period in a broader historical perspecitive; the last book before the book on the Holocaust was a comprehensive history of the Weimar Republic and at the moment I am working on a comparative study about manpower mobilisation in Germany and Great Britain during the Second World War.
Peter Longerich: Born 4 February 1955, Krefeld, Germany: German Citizen
Education and Degrees
- 1961-65St. Franciscus Schule (Primary School), Krefeld, Germany
- 1965-73Kaiser-Karl-Gymnasium, Itzehoe, Germany
- 1973-74University of Göttingen: History, Sociology, Public Law
- 1974-75National Service
- 1975-76Studies at University of Göttingen: History, Sociology, Public Law
- 1976-80Studies at University of Munich: History, Sociology
- 1980Magister Artium
- 1983Dr. Phil, University of Munich (Thesis title: Die Presseabteilung des Auswärtigen Amtes unter Ribbentrop. Supervisor: Professor Gerhard A. Ritter).
- 1999Habilitation, University of the Armed Forces, Munich
- 1990Research grant from the German Historical Institute, London
- 1992-93Research grant from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
- 1995-96Research grant from Yad Vashem, the Israeli Research Center for the Holocaust, Jerusalem, to enable me to work there for 10 months.
- 1976-1979 Department of History, University of Munich: Research Assistant to Dr. Klaus Tenfelde and Professor Gerhard A. Ritter. Project: Bibliographie zur Geschichte der deutschen Arbeiterschaft und Arbeiterbewegung (published: Braunschweig, Bonn: Institut für Sozialgeschichte, 1981)
- 1983-8 Institut für Zeitgeschichte, Munich: Research worker and (from 1985) responsible for the project: Rekonstruktion der Akten der Partei-Kanzlei der NSDAP, Teil II
- 1987-89 Department of History, University of Munich: Part-time undergraduate teaching: German and European history.
- 1993-96 Lecturer, Department of German, Royal Holloway, University of London
- 1996 to date Department of German, Royal Holloway, University of London
Other professional activities
- 1991-92 Consultant historian to the Crown Office War Crimes Investigation Team, Edinburgh. I advised the Crown Office on the basis of documentation which I collected from archives in Germany, Israel, Lithuania and the Soviet Union
- Consultancies for Second German Television, Piper Publisher (Munich), Pendo Publisher (Munich)
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of The Journal of Holocaust Education.
- Propagandisten im Krieg. Die Presseabteilung des Auswärtigen Amtes unter Ribbentrop, (Munich: Oldenburg, 1987, Studien zur Zeitgeschichte, Vol. 33) 356pp
- Die braunen Bataillone. Geschichte der SA (Munich: C.H. Beck 1989) 285pp
- Hitlers Stellvertreter. Führung der NSDAP und Kontrolle des Staatsapparates durch den Stab Heß und Bormanns Partei-Kanzlei (Munich: Saur, 1992) 283pp
- Deutschland 1918-1933. Die Weimarer Republik Handbuch zur Geschichte, (Hannover: Fackelträger, 1995) 425pp
- Die Wannsee-Konferenz vom 20. Januar 1942: Planung und Beginn des Genozids an den europäischen Juden (Berlin: Edition Hentrich) 90pp
- Politik der Vernichtung. Eine Gesamtdarstellung der nationalsozialistischen Judenverfolgung (Munich: Piper 1998) 772pp
Editing of Documents
- Akten der Partei-Kanzlei, Teil II Rekonstruktion eines verlorengegangenen Bestandes, 3 Vols. (Munich: Piper, 1992)
- Die Ermordung der europäischen Juden. Eine umfassende Dokumentation des Holocaust (Munich: Piper, 1989, 2 editions) 480pp
- Was ist des Deutschen Vaterland? Dokumente zur Frage der deutschen Einheit, (Munich: Piper, 1990, 4th edition 1996)
- Die zweite Republik. Dokumente zur Geschichte des Weimarer Staates, (Munich: Piper, 1992)
- Enzyklopädie des Holocaust. German edition (3 Vols.) with Eberhard Jäckel and Julius Schoeps (Berlin: Argon, 1993) [German version of the Hebrew and English editions published by Yad Vashem]
Articles and Chapters
- Joseph Goebbels und der totale Krieg. Eine unbekannte Denkschrift des Propagandaministers, in: Vierteljahreshefte für Zeitgeschichte 35 (1987), 289-314 [Reprinted in the series Zum Nachdenken, 1988]
- Vom Massenmord zur "Endlösung". Die Erschie8ungen von jhdischen Zivilisten in den ersten Monaten des Ostfeldzuges im Kontext des nationalsozialistischen Judenmordes, in: Zwei Wege nach Moskau. Vom Hitler-Stalin-Pakt bis zum "Unternehmen Barbarossa", edited by Bernd Wegner, (Munich: Piper, 1991) 251-274. English translation: From Mass Murder to "Final Solution": The Shooting of Jewish Civilians during the First Month of the Eastern Campaign within the Context of Nazi-Jewish Genocide, in From Peace to War. Germany, Soviet Russia and the World, 1939-41, edited by Bernd Wegner (Providence and Oxford: Berghahn Books, 1997), 253-276.
- Der Rußlandkrieg als rassistischer Vernichtungskrieg, in Der Mensch gegen den Menschen. überlegungen und Forschungen zum deutschen überfall auf die Sowjetunion 1941, edited by Hans-Heinrich Nolte (Hanover: Fackelträger, 1992), 78-94.
- Nationalsozialistische Propaganda, in: Deutschland 1933-1945, edited by Karl Dietrich Bracher, Manfred Funke and Hans-Adolf Jacobsen (Munich: Piper, 1993), 291-314.
- Vom Straßenkampf zum Anstaltsterror. Die Oranienburger SA und "ihr" Konzentrationslager, in: Konzentrationslager Oranienburg, edited by Günter Morsch, (Berlin: Hentrich, 1994), 23-33.
- Der Untergang der Weimarer Republik und die Machtüernahme der Nationalsozialisten, in: Der neue alte Rechtsradikalismus, edited by Ulrich Wank (Munich: Piper, 1993), 65-94
- In addition I have 23 entries in Enzyklopädie der Holocaust, German edition (Berlin: Argon 1993)
- I have reviewed several books in academic journals and newspapers.
Papers and Broadcasts
- 1991 30-minute radio programme on total war for the Westdeutsche Rundfunk, Cologne. Broadcast in January 1991.
- 1991 to date Numerous radio broadcasts on aspects of Nazi history arising from my publications.
- 1991 (June) University of Hannover: International symposium to mark the 50th anniversary or the German attack on the Soviet Union: Paper: "German Racist Warfare in the East".
- 1992 (May) University of Munich: Paper on German documents in Soviet archives.
- 1993 (March) History Society, Bad Nauheim: Paper on German Nationalism.
- 1993 (July) University of Munich: public lecture on the rise of the Nazi Party.
- 1994 (April) Oldenburg: participated in a public, recorded discussion with Professor Israel Gutman (Yad Vashem) and Professor Eberhard Jäckel (University of Stuttgart) on the occasion of the awarding of the Ossietzky Prize for the publication of the Encylopaedia of the Holocaust, in which I collaborated for the German edition.
- 1994 (July) Wiener Library, London: Paper on the Bomb plot of 20 July 1945.
- 1994 (Nov) University of St Andrews, Department of History: Paper on the commemoration of historical events in post-war West Germany.
- 1995 (Sept) Wiener Library, London: Paper on the Nürnberg Laws.
- 1996 (Jan) Hebrew University, Jerusalem: Paper: "The German Dictatorship and the Persecution of Jews"
- 1997 Papers on my book Politik der Vernichtung at the (June/July) following universities: Cologne, Berlin, Freiburg, Stuttgart.
- 1998 (Jan) Annual lecture: Haus der Wannseekonferenz, Berlin.
- 1998 (Jan) Talk on the Wannseekonferenz, Imperial War Museum, London.
- 1998 (April) University of Florida: paper on decision-making and the Holocaust.
- 1998 (Nov) 45 minutes TV discussion of my book Politik der Vernichtung, in the programme, Lesezeichen, 3SAT, German Public Television
- 1998 (Nov) Lecture, German Historical Institute, London on Politik der Vernichtung
- 1998 (Dec) Paper on the genesis of the "Final Solution", International Conference, Tel Aviv University
- 1999 (Jan)Paper on Himmler and the Holocaust, Symposium, Forschungsstelle für Zeitgeschichte, Hamburg
- 1999 (March)Paper in a German-Israeli round table discussion on the state of Holocaust research
- 1999 (April)Lecture tour, organised by the US Holocaust Memorial Museum (Washington, Los Angeles, Chicago, Clark University)
- 1999 (May)Paper on my book Politik der Vernichtung, Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge
|Hitler`s Role in the Pers... >||List of abbreviations >>|