The Gerstein Report was Refused At Nuremberg
Holocaust deniers say:
The Gerstein report was such a "clumsy forgery" that when the French text of it was presented as evidence at the International Military Tribunal in Nuremberg on January 30, 1946 the Tribunal refused to consider it as evidence.1
Paul Rassinier, a French Holocaust denier, claims that after the report was rejected by the court the press picked it up and spread it around the world as a result of which it became accepted as an "unquestionably authentic document." 2 Thereafter, it was used at other trials without question or proper authentification by a court of law.
The facts about the Gerstein Report and the International Military Tribunal
- The Gerstein Report was offered into evidence in the morning session on January 30, 1946 by Dubost, the French prosecutor, together with several of the Zyklon-B invoices Gerstein had attached to it.
- In fact, the judges did refuse to allow the report to be read into the record in the morning session. They refused it not because it was "inconclusive" or an obvious "forgery" but because of a technicality. A certificate establishing its origin, required by the Tribunal for every piece of submitted evidence, was apparently lacking.
- In the afternoon of the same day, the British Assistant Prosecutor General reported to the court that the Gerstein Report was part of a bundle of documents of "which the origin and the filing were authenticated on November 22 by Commandant Coogan. The series of PS has been verified and when it is read to the Tribunal, it can be accepted."
The judges, satisfied that the certificate of authenticity had been overlooked in the morning session, apologized to Dubost and entered it into evidence.3
Rassinier is lying in an attempt to discredit Gerstein’s report as evidence. The judges did not "throw out" Gerstein’s report. Once the supposedly missing certificate was pointed out, it was entered into evidence the same day.
1. Paul Rassinier, Debunking the Genocide Myth (Chapter Thirteen: Witness, Testimonies, and Documents) at http://www.ihr.org/books/rassinier/debunking2-13.html, p. 21/36. This is the internet version of his original title, The Drama of the European Jews (Steppingstones Publications, 1975).
2. Paul Rassinier, Debunking the Genocide Myth (Chapter Thirteen: Witness, Testimonies, and Documents) at http://www.ihr.org/books/rassinier/debunking2-13.html, pp. 18/36. This is the internet version of his original title, The Drama of the European Jews (Steppingstones Publications, 1975).
3. Georges Wellers, "The Existence of Gas Chambers, The Number of Victims and the Korherr Report" in The Holocaust and the Neo-Nazi Mythomania, edited by Serge Klarsfeld (Beate Klarsfeld Foundation, 1978), pp. 126, 127.